Saturday, June 23, 2007

Dreamy

I have a recurring dream. I guess you could call it recurring...I'm always dreaming about a house. The house is always different, but all the houses have a few things in common. They are always HUGE with a spectacular view and many, many bedrooms. It's like my great-grandmother's house where I grew up, in that all the bedrooms are connected. In old houses, you had to walk through the "front" bedroom to get to the "back" bedroom. Our old house only had three bedrooms, but the houses I dream about have countless bedrooms. Here is the weird part. (I know, dreaming about houses is weird enough...I am an HGTV addict. Maybe that has something to do with it.) The houses I dream about are usually in major need of remodeling. They are all grand, old gorgeous things decorated in Brady Bunch-esque '70s decor. Which is, of course, hideous. You know, paneled walls. Golden Harvest shag carpeting. Scratchy tweed furniture in rectangular and square shapes. The houses are never mine. I'm usually walking through it trying to decide whether to buy it or not...trying to see the potential (great view, lots of bedroooms) behind the remodeling nightmare. What does it all mean?? It's starting to make me crazy. Last night, I dreamed about the same type of house, except it belonged to an old friend of mine, whom I'm not in touch with anymore. This time, she was about to remodel it. So today, thank you God for the internet, I researched the meaning of my dream. Dream interpretation? Completely uncredible and unscientific I'm sure, but worth a look-see if something is driving you nuts. There must be a reason I keep having this dream, right? The dream dictionary gave me this:

To see a house in your dream, represents your own soul and self. Specific rooms in the house indicate a specific aspect of your psyche. In general, the attic represents your intellect, the basement represents the unconscious, etc. If the house is empty, then it indicates feelings of insecurity. To dream that you are cleaning your house, signifies your need to clear out your thoughts and getting rid of old ways. You are seeking self-improvement. To dream that you are in the bedroom, signifies aspects of your self that you keep private.

Deeeeeeeeep, huh? They didn't have a dictionary entry for decor or Brady Bunch-esque, what are the odds? But perhaps that has something to do with getting rid of old ways, since I was a child in the 1970s. I need to improve something about myself that is hanging on since childhood. (Don't we all?) I don't know what the friend thing was about...except in my dream, I was annoyed that she saw the potential in something that normally only I would have been sensitive enough to appreciate. (Did I mention that I'm full of myself in my dreams, too?) So, apparently I'm haunted by a deep (and private) need for self-improvement coupled with an insecurity that someone is going to remodel my psyche before I get the chance. Either that, or it was the two very large margaritas I had last night.

No comments: