Friday, March 30, 2007

It's Her Birthday, I Can Cry if I Want To

Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl!

Small Fry is officially the big 0-3. I love 3-year-old birthday parties. The little guys are so easy to please at this age. Just surround me with some loved ones who can make a fuss over me, give me presents and let me lick the icing off the cake, and it's a birthday to remember. They are never disappointed if you can deliver those few things. And Princess Small Fry was a prime example of birthday contentment. She was in her element. She relished every minute of the relative fussing, icing licking, bubble blowing, present opening, costume wearing affair. She marveled over each and every gift. "Oh, look at this!" she said breathlessly every time she ripped open a new goody. She gave every guest hugs and kisses. She read stories to us and danced in her Briar Rose ( whom has now been dubbed Fire Hose by Da) costume to our delight. It was awesome. Cutie Pie and I reminisced later that night about the day she was born. I started having contractions in the middle of the night, but they were very mild, and I figured why wake everyone up? ( I think I still felt guilty about Big Stuff's birth, when Cutie Pie went something like 25 hours without sleep. ) The next day I just went about my business until my 11 am OBGYN appointment. The midwife was about to sign off on me and send me home when I said, "Well, I think I've been having contractions since last night." Sure enough, I was halfway to Ground Zero already. She told me to high-tail it to the hospital, and 5 or 6 hours later, we were holding that dear girl in our arms. And every moment since then has been the same. She just eased herself right into our lives. Sure, she can be a handful with her temper tantrums and her refusal to be distracted from the mission of the moment, whatever that may be, but when she's ready...she just up and does her thing. And we just stand back and marvel.

PS - She decided 3 is a good age to be potty trained. And, therefore, she now is. See ya later Pampers! Yes, we've been joined at the cheek for the last six years, but it's the end of an era. ( cue the evil laugh ) Thank you, Jesus!

No comments: