Friday, March 2, 2007

Bad News Bears

Lots of bad news today. Tornadoes flattening schools, buses falling off bridges, Barbie bandits...what's next? Never mind, I don't want to know. I turned off the TV. I need a break. Just one comment on the "unnatural" disaster of the day: What in the heck were these girls doing, robbing a bank? It seems like, when you become a parent, the stories in which some child is being harmed tear at your heart even more than before...but you also become increasingly indignant when you see children acting like lunatics and idiots. I guess these girls aren't exactly children, at 19, but I can't help thinking about their moms and sympathizing. When you consider all the love and care you put into every second of a child's life, all the heart-wrenching decisions...to have them throw that life away for the most ridiculous of reasons?? Ouch! Maybe their moms didn't put a lot of love and care into their lives. Maybe their moms are lunatics and idiots themselves. Maybe that's the only way a mama can think and still raise her kids without being scared to death that something she is doing, or not doing, is going to turn her kid into a crazy nut. It's all far too subjective and out-of-our-control for my liking, this raising-people thing. I know, I know. That's just the way it is.... Parenthood is designed that way. For good reason, I'm sure. But it makes my stomach hurt.

No comments: