Friday, March 9, 2007

Methought I Heard a Voice Cry "Sleep no More!"

Here is one of my new favorite things to do. Sit in "my spot" on the couch, drink coffee drowned in Butter Pecan cream, watch the Today show and look at my birdfeeder. I know this is not a revolutionary new hobby...most people I know have been enjoying their backyard birdies for years. I am a recent convert. I didn't realize that so many different kinds and colors of birds would show up to have breakfast in my backyard. They are so pretty! I think my new interest comes now because this is probably the first time in my life that I have an hour to myself in the morning...it comes between getting one kid off to school and the other kid waking up. If I didn't have to get the first one off to school, I would just sleep until the second one woke me up. Or if the second one woke up two hours later than she does, I would just go back to bed. Before the kids, I routinely slept until the last possible minute before dragging myself out of bed to go to work. I am the Queen of the snooze button. On vacations, when I actually have the opportunity to view something beautiful in the morning, I think to myself..hey, I'm on vacation. Great opportunity to sleep in. In case you haven't caught on, I do not care for early rising. I like it in theory, but when the sun comes up, I go down...farther under the covers, shutting my eyes tight against the possibility of morning. I completely subscribe to the theory that there is a wrong side of the bed. Many a day has been ruined for me by someone or something getting me out of bed 10 minutes earlier than I intended. A few years ago, I had a neighbor who drove a truck to work. He would, without fail, each and every morning, rev his engine for 15 or 20 minutes. The 15 or 20 minutes fell about 18 minutes before my last snooze was scheduled. I don't know why he did it, except that perhaps he was an idiot. But that's another story. I literally hated that man for revving his engine in the morning. Then there was the woodpecker we had that was so stupid he mistook our gutters for a tree. Remember that Seinfeld episode when Elaine had the barking dog that kept her up all night? That was me, in my pretty, feminine nightgown, sticking my head out the window and screaming Shhhhhuuuuuuttttttt-----Uppppppppp!!!!!!!! I have mellowed a little since then. Not having to report anywhere at the ungodly hour of 8 a.m. helps. Having to feed hungry babies in the middle of the night --with motherly tenderness, not sleep-deprived, illogical anger-- helped. Anyway, I apologize here and now to the unfortunate revver man for my abject hatred. All the poor guy was trying to do was go to work. And if I would have just gotten up, I could have started enjoying the birds much earlier in life! I still don't know why you have to rev a truck for 20 blasted minutes though....


A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. Chinese Proverb

No comments: