Sunday, February 25, 2007

Shuffling off to Buffalo

Whew. I have spent the better part of today shuffling crap from place to place around this house. On the Day of Rest, no less. I know Cutie Pie has been quietly cursing me under his breath all day, as his idea of a perfect Sunday afternoon is a 3-hour nap followed by dinner and a DVD. Hey, I'm not arguing! That scenario is far, far better than unpacking boxes that have been sitting around since we moved in on Halloween, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get busy. I should have done it myself a long time ago, but it was overwhelming to think of doing it alone. Plus I needed someone to do the heavy lifting. We did actually rid ourselves of six or seven large cardboard boxes that we have been stumbling over for months (see the marks in the carpet?). But you still have to find a place for all the stuff INSIDE the boxes to go. UGH. So I had to be ruthless. A lot of it, I just left in the boxes, which I then transported straight to the trash can and dumped. Don't tell my mom. She saves everything, and it's true...if you are ever staying at her house and you, I don't know, twist your ankle and require an Ace bandage and an electric heating pad, decide to throw a tea party and need a spoon shaped like a lemon, or have a burning desire to wear a T-shirt that says "I'm a blood donor" -- you WILL be covered. I admire her Be Prepared mentality, really I do, but I just couldn't deal with it anymore! It was like harboring gremlins. Those boxes just kept growing and growing and multiplying and replicating... and frankly, I was getting scared. Especially since the laundry was doing the very same thing. ( If ever I disappear from the face of the earth, you will probably find me under a house-sized pile of laundry - please take note. ) So NOW, after forcing, I mean persuading, each person in my family to perform a long list of domestic chores ...well, yes, we are still as unorganized as ever. But at least, at the very least, some of those blasted boxes are now outside the house, in good old Big Blue. And, I did find some wonderful things that we have been surviving without since the fall, including a whole box of Big Stuff's books -- which she spent about two hours looking at and arranging on her bookshelf today -- and my vacation scrapbooks. Those brief glimpses of our babies at the beach and ourselves in exotic locales made it almost worthwhile. And also, I can see my garage floor again! Yes, that is definitely something!

P.S. I still have not started on my desk. Perhaps I should give up procrastination for Lent. I'll think about that tomorrow.

No comments: