Thursday, February 8, 2007

We are Sick with the Desire for the Sun

I am sorely uninspired. I may be going stir crazy. It happens every year around this time...one day I wake up, and Hello! I'm ready for SPRING. Right now! I love my bit of winter (not much of a bit, but a bigger chunk than I used to get in Florida). Fires, bundling up, hot lattes - yes, these are good things. But one day it just happens...and I'm ready for spring. I've been depriving myself of the outdoors for far too long. This year I'm especially excited about warm weather, as we have recently acquired a SWIMMING POOL. I am constantly dreaming of days and nights spent swimming in it, sitting by it, looking at it, skimming it for leaves. (Well, not the last part :-) ) I'm a bit like Clark Griswold, gazing into my backyard. But my mama always says, "Don't wish the days away, OHM." And I generally try to listen to my mama.

I found this: The name February is believed to have derived from the name 'Februa' taken from the Roman 'Festival of Purification'. The root 'februo' meaning 'I purify by sacrifice'. And this: February is merely as long as is needed to pass the time until March. - Dr. J. R. Stockton. Yep, that's how I'm feeling. Sacrificially passing the time.

Maybe I need to make one of those gratitude journals that Oprah or someone is always talking about. I do actually do this sometimes - it's amazing to literally count your blessings. Here's my top 5:
1. Kids who make Valentine's cookies.
2. Friends who call to ask how I'm doing. And are actually interested in the answer.
3. A guy who washes dishes, clothes and children with very few complaints.
4. Parents who love their grandkids.
5. Sermons that make ya cry on Sunday. And think.

I found two more:
There is a privacy about winter which no other season gives you… Only in winter…can you have longer, quiet stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself. - Ruth Stout

Keep your faith in beautiful things; in the sun when it is hidden, in the Spring when it is gone. -Roy R. Gibson
Amen.


No comments: